Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Profread* (for Proofread*)

Today's typo is neither profane, profound, nor terribly profuse, although it's kind of a cool one anyway. It registers as "lowest probability" on the Ballard list, but seeing as how most college professors will readily assert that "spelling counts," I simply couldn't resist. I mean it's just funny when the word proofread is the one word that really should have been. Your own prof may be very well read, but even professional types make typos. (If I ever decide to start an online editing service, I'm thinking of calling it proofreid.com.) I'm proffering our typo of the day with the caveat that only one of these was found in the OhioLINK database, and a mere nine in WorldCat. You'll have to proofread your own catalog, though, to find out whether or not you profit by the exercise.

(Gallery of professors of Czech Technical University in Prague, 1872, reprinted in 1895, from Wikimedia Commons.)

Carol Reid

No comments: