Monday, January 25, 2016

Famly, Famlies (for Family, Families)

The other morning I was showing my roommate a photo of myself cradling a newborn goat at the Vermont farm where my sister once worked. "What do you call a baby goat?" we asked each other, but there wasn't time to ponder this as I hurried out the door. At work I picked up a newspaper from a few days earlier and started doing the crossword puzzle. I finished it later at home that night. "Baby goat," read one of the final clues, as if right on cue. The answer, of course, was KID. Just as I was jotting down this PGC (pretty good coincidence), I overheard a TV commentator say (with regard to Paris Hilton's bad-boy brother): "They treat this kid with kid gloves." I was so pleased by that I could have practically eaten a tin can. I've seen crossword puzzle clues for many other farmyard family members (FOAL, CALF, RAM, EWE, DOE, STAG, etc.), but hadn't seen this one in quite a while, if ever. So here's lookin' at you, KID, along with 15 (18) cases of Famly or Famlies in OhioLINK, and 405 (1,316) in WorldCat. Bear in mind that both fam'ly and fam'lies are relatively common variants on these words, so not all hits will be actual typos.

(Two kids playfully enjoying each other's company, Tarlac, Philippines, 2 April 2010, from Wikimedia Commons.)

Carol Reid

No comments: