Monday, December 31, 2007

December 31, 2007 - Solist (for Soloist)

Solist is a "high probability" typo, according to the Ballard list, but a confusing one to me at first, since I wasn't quite sure what it was a typo for. Is it solstice, I wondered, gazing out my window at the lengthening light and heightening snow? Or perhaps some sort of list, like the ones traditionally mused over today as we resolve to do things differently in the upcoming new year? Of course, as I quickly realized with some chagrin, upon typing it into OhioLINK, it's neither one of those, but another seasonal favorite: soloist. Featured 19 times there, you will most likely find it listed at least once in your own catalog as well. (Sculpture of Luciano Pavarotti, who passed away in 2007, from Wikimedia Commons.)

Carol Reid

No comments: