Thursday, August 26, 2010

Brookyn* (for Brooklyn*)

Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets. - Yogi Berra

I don't know if Berra actually said this, or if it's just one of many probable quotations that has cropped over the years, but I can't argue with his premise.

I'm thinking of baseball today because of an anniversary: Major league baseball in the U.S. was first broadcast on television on August 26, 1939. The doubleheader between the Cincinnati Reds and the Brooklyn Dodgers was shown on New York station W2XBS. W2XBS also televised a game between Princeton and Columbia earlier that year. Japan, however, beat the U.S. to televised baseball by several years -- showing a game in 1931.

While I'm Canadian and should have hockey in my DNA, I must admit to a special love for baseball -- perhaps because it moves slowly enough for this non-athlete to follow the rules?

Leanne Olson

No comments: