Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nighjt* (for Night*)

Night time is really the best time to work. All the ideas are there to be yours because everyone else is asleep. -Catherine O'Hara

Staring into the darkness of night (or the pinpricks of stars) inspired a vast number of brilliant minds over the years, including astronomer Heinrich Obler whose paradox argued against a static view of the universe, poet Dylan Thomas who urged us to rage against the dying of the light, and philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche who wondered what happens if the void looks back at you. I’m an amateur playwright and get some of my best ideas at night, hoping their genius will rub off on me, often while going through a bout of insomnia. I keep a little notebook by the bed for these occurrences. Unfortunately, sometimes I don’t turn on the light, and in the morning my half-blind post-midnight scrawl is less decipherable than many of the typos in our blog. Nighjt is a low-probability typo, but still one to watch out for – if you can’t see your keyboard while cataloguing in the dark after hours, double-check the glowing screen in front of you.

(Night sky photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

Leanne Olson

No comments: