Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Guniea (for Guinea)

I have a clear memory of the first time that, as a child, I ever saw guinea fowl. They were strange and fascinating creatures, and I just knew I had to have some. Unfortunately, my parents had other ideas.

Where I live now, there's a small flock just down the hill, and most evenings I see them on my way home from work. I still love their beautiful plumage and the silly racket they make when approached.

Guniea appears just one time in OhioLINK, but there are 78 entries in WorldCat. Nearly all are typos for "New Guinea," with a couple instances of "guniea pig." But there are actually none for "gunieas," "guniea fowl," or "gunieafowl," which means poultry lovers should have no trouble locating a copy of Gardening with Guineas: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Guinea Fowl on a Small Scale.

(Helmeted Guineafowl (Numida meleagris), from Wikimedia Commons)

Deb Kulczak

No comments: