Friday, September 26, 2014

Commercail* (for Commercial*)

"I felt something in the air. It came from right over there. It appeared to have wings, it was just levitating. Kind of floating. Whoosh. So fast! It had glowing eyes. I saw a flash of white. Beautiful. It was real. Out of this world. It's out there. BMW, the ultimate driving machine..." Um, I swore I wouldn't bring it up here again, at least not for a while, but I simply can't resist. Is it just me or has Bigfoot become such a thoroughgoing cultural meme that he's currently being invoked in the name of both down-home beef jerky and high-end luxury cars? Is Bigfoot, like George Jefferson, movin' on up? Or have I finally reached the point where I now see the whole world through cryptid-colored glasses? A world where almost anything can equal a Sasquatch (maybe accompanied by a UFO or Mothman)? Where a myth is as good as a mile? Perhaps I could use a skeptical stint in rehab, a bit of deprogramming, possibly a Yeti intervention... Or did the pricey German automobile company really just release a haunting new advertising campaign based on Bigfoot and friends?! (It seems that it's been airing since earlier last spring, but I only just caught sight of it myself the other day.) I decided to try and look it up online to see if anyone else "saw what I saw," but sadly there was little evidence of that. So just enjoy this mysterious TV commercial and keep your eyes peeled for whatever it is that's "out there." In here, in the meantime, we spotted two examples of today's typo in OhioLINK, and 62 in WorldCat.

(1962 BMW in Slovenia, from Wikimedia Commons.)

Carol Reid


No comments: