Monday, July 7, 2014

Botanc* (for Botanical)

Have you ever noticed that trendiness, just like with clothing or hairstyles, is also apparent in the botanical realm? In years gone by, spider plants (complete with macramé pot hangers), strawberry begonias, and Swedish ivy all had their turn as the must-have houseplant. And now, judging from the offerings at my local home improvement stores, cacti and succulents are making a big comeback.

While this delights me to no end (just the other day I came home with a hand full of spines and a large prickly pear), I wish my cactus care skills matched my enthusiasm. Yes, intellectually I know they are desert dwellers, but I can’t convince myself they don’t need that big drink of water on a hot summer day!

Botanc* is a low-probability error. There are 4 English-language instances of it in the OhioLINK database and 59 in WorldCat. With the proper treatment, all things botanical will soon flourish in your catalog.

(Prickly Pear cactus, from Wikimedia Commons)

Deb Kulczak

No comments: