Tuesday, May 4, 2010

HMTL (for HTML)

Initialisms always get me. They’re different from acronyms in that they don’t spell out a word, so it’s much harder to notice when you’ve made a typo. I’m sure I’ve typed “HMTL” more than once; I know for sure that I’ve misspelled “URL” as “ULR” at least a few times. Perhaps mixing it up with household cleaner CLR?

Tim Berners-Lee (pictured here) invented HTML, or hypertext markup language (not hyper markup text language) and the World Wide Web. If you’re interested in the future of the web, check out his short talk at TED.

TED is a website that brings together brief (10-20 minute) presentations by giants in technology, business, journalism, and entertainment, and every time I visit, I lose myself online, spellbound for hours.

Leanne Olson

(Photo from howstuffworks.com)

No comments: